1. Strength. There is a special strength within us that we do not know until we urge ourselves to bring it out. Not the ability of the limbs to do kungfu or the fierceness of emotions but the strength to hold on, to keep the belief firm, and to change for better. Our control over our desires and those forbidden is the strength not everyone can bring out from themselves.
2. Oddity. We do not have to abide with the trend to exist. Although everything around us embraces change, always adhere to the revelation which took place 1400 years ago even it means being odd, weird, and awkward. It’s actually self fulfilling to be just yourself, unique and certain, than to chase everybody’s modern culture and felt confused.
3. Imperfection. Allah hates those who distort themselves in order to be beautiful, but loves those who find beauty within themselves naturally. We cannot hide our real character so do not fake it, you can embrace change for improvements but don’t do it the haram way and to please other people. We must appreciate Allah’s creations as how He creates them.
4. Failure. Failure is not a sign that you are being punished. It’s not something to be feared, but to be understood. We are being blind with the idea that to be the brightest star committing mistakes is a big NO. We get series of mistakes and failures that actually make us learn a lot of lessons we will never learn if we don’t commit in those. It’s also blessings. Remember, even stars lose its brightness sometimes but whatever happens, always say Alhamdulillah.
5. Impression. Don’t let the perception of the people around you become your basis of knowing who you are and what you have to be. We should only please the One who created us beautifully. Make Him our purpose and goal, not anybody else. We only become beautiful by finding beauty in what’s already within ourselves.
6. Contentment. Do not let your inabilities and lack wear off on you. Do not let the things you don’t have steal your sweetness. Appreciate what you have instead of discrediting it. Contentment is hard to gain but when you choose to focus on the things which you already have, you end up finding more joy, more love and a sweeter smile.
7. Silence. Having quality time alone is the best gift we can give to ourselves. Silent moment that will allow us to reflect on things we have done the entire day. It gives us realizations in our life. It gives us that moment when we are being able to distinguish our faults and good deeds. It’s our responsibility to give ourselves personal time, it’s soothing.
8. Enemy. We sabotage our hard work, betray our belief, and make ourselves depress. Usually, we are the biggest hindrance in doing well. To conclude, we are ourselves greatest enemies even we consider ourselves our own best friends. But, still love your enemy, yourself. Inject that love within yourself and you’ll be able to control yourself to please Allah.
9. Hypocrisy. We preach yet we disobey, we advice people yet we can’t tame ourselves, we forbid the wrong yet we can’t control ourselves, we spread the message to the world to stop mocking us, but we mock them back. We nourish ourselves with these anger, hatred, wicked deeds onto those who wrong us and we send them back the same act and we say it’s because we love Islam. Islam is being blamed for our wickedness. We are also the big reason why Islam is having its bad image right now. Observe our characters and you’ll see.
10. Time Our life here on earth is shorter than what we really think. Look, everything fades even us. Everything turns old, including us. It’s like just passing-by-a-market span of journey. But, that we do not realize until we sees death, we see people fades, we see things vanish. Being aware in everything happens around us is strengthening our faith, that when we see them leaving this earth we realize this is very temporary. That prepared or unprepared if our time has come, we’ll be back to our Lord and it could be now, it could be later.
11. Submission. Submission is beautiful even though others misunderstand it. When we submit our life to Allah, we are willing to leave everything to Allah to decide for us. We put the trust on Him in everything that is happening around us. We let Him take care of us by obeying Him with pure willingness. For that, we are certain of everything because it’s from Him.
12. Role. Choosing our role in the society is easy if our parents allow it. Each of us has a different role in the society so we must not compare our lives to that of others. We should live this life open with the plans of Allah. Our parents only want what is good for us, and we may agree with them. But, what makes others stand out, might won’t work on us. And, remind them that the best planner is the Creator not them.
13. Consistency. When things get worse, we lose our focus, perhaps, because of the disappointments. Remember, success is best served with flavors of difficulty. Usually when success is about to be accomplished it is when things become tough. Same when we practice our deen, Allah tests us more when we’re at the peak of our imaan. We may falter a lot of times, but don’t forget to always stand up every time you fall.
14. Knowledge. It’s good to go back always to the basics, cause it will always teach us new things. Once we claim we know everything, we are actually putting the attribute of Allah on us and that’s something dangerous thinking we don’t notice. Let’s always remind ourselves that we do not know everything, because we really don’t. Allah only allows us to learn those which are enough for us to know.
15. Forgiveness. Pain, resentment, guilt, anger, and fear all of these crawl up inside of us when we think on our mistakes or the mistakes of people around us. Sometimes the only healthy way to move forward is to look back at our past and accept those and forgive. First, ask forgiveness from Allah, the Oft-forgiving, and then ask forgiveness and forgive those who made mistakes around you, including yourself.
16. Gratefulness. What happens is when He grants our wishes, it is only the time we thank Him. When He gives us something other than what we like or He gets something from us, we question Him, and worse we stop believing on Him. We forget to thank Allah for all things that He has been giving us, the small, the good, the loss, and the gain. All are blessings from Him.
17. Coping. When people hurt us, things go wrong, we lose people we love, or the dreams we’ve valued, we feel down and blue. Sometimes we don’t forgive people because they deserve it but because they need it, because we need it, and because we cannot move forward without it. The acceptance of pain is believing that you have to let go and move on.
18. Responsibility. When we do some mistakes, we often put the blame to other people or we find excuses just not to be blamed. We must understand that the moment we choose to blame some outside force for whatever is happening to us, we are in fact giving all our power over ourselves to them. We should take responsibility for everything that happens with us. It will not make us any less if we admit we are being faulty also.
19. Patience. We must learn how to be patient because with patience, we are being accepting and forgiving. Allah, the Most Forbearing, encourages us to be patient as it is among the keys of entering His paradise. If we go back to the stories of those who are promised Jannah, we can see that Patience was one of the reasons why they are granted eternal life of happiness. “And be patient. Surely, Allah is with those who are patient.” (8:46)